Sunday, April 27, 2008

I READ: The Next Book On My List

I read.

You heard me, tough guy. I read.

Not just on the internet. And not blocks of ad copy that are comprised of two simple sentences. Nor the comics. Nor just the home page blips off newspapers' web sites that are 2-3 paragraphs long, written for those with ADD/ADHD. (I do read a lot of newspapers, Atlanta Journal Constitution, LA Times, NY Times, USA Today, Boston Globe, Washington Times, Wall Street Journal, Jackson Clarion Ledger, and by force majeure, Memphis Commercial Appeal so that I can be freed from accusation that I don't know what's going on in my own city, except Wendy Thomas. I don't read Wendy Thomas).

This causes me to digress a moment.

When I was in j-school at Mississippi University for Women -- top school in that state at the time for academics, in horrible demise now because of the puppet leadership installed by the MIHL-- we were taught to write for the eighth grade educated reader. My professors explained that research and statistics revealed that the lowest educational common denominator in this country was an eighth grade reading level. And that was to whom we should write when we filed our stories.

If 50 is the new 30, then the new eighth grade reader is now a fourth grade reader.

Sad but true. Still, I gravitate toward people who read. I'll have to accuse myself of being elitist in that sense.

The old adage "knowledge is power," was first used to mean in some negative way such as to threaten or blackmail.

The more accurate statement today is "knowledge is only power when you use it to create new knowledge".

So, I read. And I wish you would, as well.

The next book on my reading list:













Here are my next three:


No comments: